Friday, February 17, 2012

floral inspiration

I find myself drawn to flowers (and butterflies- but I'll save those for another time, perhaps).
Flowers have always been a source of design inspiration.
They can be complex or simple, elegant or casual... anything... except ordinary.

everyday art design studio's 3 flower lapel pin

There is just something about them that feeds the soul.  
I would guess that God intended us to feel something when we look at flowers.  "For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities- his eternal power and divine nature- have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse." Rom 1:20. 
Creation reveals God to us- intentionally.
What a joy it must have been to dream up all the colors, sizes, and shapes that make up the world of flora.

There are numerous tutorials out there for wrapped/twisted flowers- all similiar in their construction.  I don't feel the need to add mine to the masses.  Here is a tutorial I particularly like from Cherry Street Cottage.



Cherry Street Cottage- fabric rosette tutoral
 

a recent creation of mine:


everyday art design studio's wrapped flower lapel pin
 The fabrics for my flower pin:
pinky/orange- a cotton dyed batik
brown- a two tone printed diamond pattern cotton
green/blue- printed swirl cotton
orchid purple- synthetic tafetta

I added beads to the center of two of the flowers.
The leaf is created in the same fashion- just shaped like an oval to begin with instead of a circle.
I prefer sewing the flowers (as opposed to glueing).  It feels more permanent to me.
I stitched the flowers and leaf to a stiff felt on the back and added a locking pin back.


My youngest gave it to his Kindergarten teacher for Valentine's Day.

Have a blessed weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment